The skin has sebaceous glands located underneath which produce sebum, an oily substance that is comprised of fats. An overproduction of this sebum is what leads to oily skin. While it does contribute to your skin’s greasy shine, sebum isn’t the enemy as it is actually responsible for protecting and moisturizing the skin.
Then again, too much of a good thing is always bad as sebum overproduction leads to clogged pores, which cause acne.
Although instances such as hormonal changes and stress increase the production of sebum, there are some things you can do to manage the issue – naturally. Here are natural remedies to deal with oily skin:
Spread honey on your face
Honey has antibacterial and antiseptic properties making it ideal for use on oily skin and acne-prone skin. As a natural humectant, honey will keep your skin moist but not oily.
Here’s how to use honey on your skin:
- Spread a thin layer of honey (preferably raw) on your face
- Leave it there for about 10 minutes
- Rinse your face with tepid water
Massage an oatmeal mixture on your face
Oatmeal not only absorbs excess oil; it can exfoliate dead skin pretty well too. You can combine oatmeal with honey, yogurt or mashed fruit to create a mixture to apply to your face. Here’s how:
- Mix together a half cup of ground oats and hot water to form a paste
- Add one tablespoon of honey
- Massage the mixture onto your face for three minutes (you can also choose to do so for 10-15 minutes)
- Use warm water to rinse the mixture off then pat your face dry
Combine egg whites and lemon
Both egg whites and lemon can help with tightening pores while the acid in lemon is a good absorber of oil. Plus, lemon has antibacterial properties. While a mixture of these two is an option for treating oily skin, it’s not a remedy for everybody, especially those with egg allergies. If you’re sure about not having any negative reaction to eggs, here’s how to make a face mask using the two ingredients:
- Combine one egg white with a teaspoon of freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Apply the mixture onto your face and leave it until it dries
- Rinse the mask off with warm water then pat your face dry
You don’t need to buy expensive products to remedy oily skin. Sometimes, all you need to do is look in your kitchen.
- June 28, 2017
- VIVIAN LIN